Somnath temple situated in Parsis Patan near Veraval in Saurashtra on the west coast of Gujarat is considered as the first of the twelve Jyotirlinga temples of Shiva.
This is an important pilgrimage place and tourist place of Gujarat. In the past several times were destroyed and rebuilt, the present temple was rebuilt in the Chalukya style of the Hindu temple and completed in May 1951. The reconstruction was done by Vallabhbhai Patel and the then chairman of the temple trust, K.M. The munshi was completed under. Due to various legends related to the temple, it is considered sacred. Somnath means “lord of God”, a novel of Shiva
Somnath temple After a book of KM Munshi, according to his description of this title and many times in the destruction of the temple and the reconstruction of history, it is known as “Shrine Eternal”.
According to tradition, Shivaling in Somnath is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas in India, where Shiva is seen as a fire pillar of light. Jyothirlinga is taken as the highest, undivided reality from which Shiva is partially visible.
Each of the twelve Jyotirling places takes the name of a different expression of Shiva. At all these places, the primary image is a symbol of the eternal nature of Shiva, a sexgem representing the beginning-less and endless pillar (pillar). Apart from one in Somnath, there are other people in Varanasi, Rameswaram, Dwarka etc.
Somnath’s site has been a pilgrimage site since ancient times, due to the Triveni Sangam (three rivers – Kapila, Deer and the confluence of the Saraswati of Purana). It is believed that Soma has lost her glow due to a curse, and she has to take bath in Saraswati river on this site to get it back. The result is that there is no doubt in the waxing and waning of the moon, there is no doubt to reduce waxing and tilt at the edge of this beach. Someshwar and Somnath (“lord of the moon” or “moon god”) are born from this tradition in the name of the city’s name Prabhas, along with shine and alternative traditions.
According to the popular tradition written by Gordon Melton, the temple of Somnath before Somnath is believed to have been built on some unknown time in the past. It is said that the second temple was built at the same place by the “Yadav King” of Vallabhini around 64 9 CE. In 725 AD, the Arab governor of Sindh, Al-Junaid, destroyed the second temple as part of his attacks of Gujarat and Rajasthan. It is said that Gujjar-Pratihar King Nagabhutt II constructed the third temple in 815 CE, which is a large structure of red sandstone.
However, there is no historical record of the attack on Somnath by al-Junaid. Nagabhata is known in the second Saurashtra, to visit the Tirthas along with the Lord of the Moon, which can not be in the context of Shiva temple or because the city itself was known by that name. Cholukya (Solanki) King Maularaja probably made the first temple on this site sometime before 997 CE, although some historians believe that they may have rebuilt the temple a little earlier.
In 1024, during the reign of Bheem 1, Mahmud, chief of Ghazni, raided Gujarat, looted the Somnath temple, and broke his Jyotirlinga. He removed one loot of 20 million dinars. Historians are expected to reduce temple damage as there is a record of pilgrimages in the temple in 1038, which does not mention any kind of damage to the temple. However, about the Mahmood raid, powerful legends developed in Turk-Persian literature with complex details, which according to scholar Meenakshi Jain, the Muslim world “electrified”.